Historic Aldredge House
Then & Now
Willie Newbury Lewis
Rena Munger Aldredge
The Aldredge House turned 100 in 2017 and is recognized as the best preserved residential example of early 20th-century Dallas architecture.
The financial & civic leaders of the early 1900's made their homes in the luxurious new residential development known as Munger Place. The first of its kind in Texas, the deed-restricted neighborhood was envisioned by Robert S. Munger reflecting the bold spirit that made the city what it is today.
The beautiful mansions along Swiss Avenue are a celebration of that spirit. Aldredge House was originally built for William J. Lewis as a wedding gift for his bride Willie Newbury; however, they lived in the house for only one year. It was purchased in 1921 by George and Rena Munger Aldredge, one of Dallas’ most celebrated power couples. Mr. Aldredge was a prominent Dallas banker and his wife, Rena, was daughter of Stephen I. Munger, who ran the Munger family’s cotton gin business in Dallas, and niece of Robert S. Munger. Mr. and Mrs. Aldredge lived in the home for more than 50 years, hosting and supporting their many cultural and philanthropic efforts.
The Aldredge House, which has been preserved inside and out, is one of the finest examples of the city's rich and colorful history. The House & Rena Aldredge played a key role in the creation of the Swiss Avenue Historic District by providing a preview of what the neighborhood would become today.
This magnificent grande dame is designated as a Texas Historic Landmark and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
View of the living room featuring the stone fireplace & hearth, decorative plaster ceiling, original mahogany woodwork and 11/2" quarter-sawn white oak flooring.
Front facade view, 2016
Dining Room featuring walnut trim & paneling, with original sideboards and portraits of the Munger family
Celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary
Front facade & side terrace, 1922
Judge Aldredge, Sawnie, Rena and family
Rena and George Aldredge 50th wedding anniversary celebration
Front facade view, 1921
Members of the Aldredge family, view of the rear terrace and gardens
One of the first residential swimming pools in Dallas